Wednesday, October 5, 2016

10-5-16 Intro Comp/World History Geography

Students will complete Activities designed to strengthen Critical Thinking/ Reasoning skills using knowledge of Fact and Opinion


One of the keys to effective critical thinking and reasoning skills is the ability to distinguish between fact and opinion.
  • Facts
  • Things known for certain to have happened
  • Things known for certain to be true
  • Things known for certain to exist

  • Opinions
  • Things believed to have happened
  • Things believed to be true
  • Things believed to exist

Essentially, the difference between fact and opinion is the difference between believing and knowing.

Opinions may be based on facts, but they are still what we think, not what we know. Opinions are debatable; facts usually are not. A good test for whether something is a fact or opinion is to ask yourself, “Can this statement be debated? Is this known for certain to be true?”
If you can answer yes to the first question, you have an opinion; if you answer yes to the second, you have a fact.
If you’re not sure, then it’s best to assume that it’s an opinion until you can verify that it is indeed a fact.
When you’re making decisions, it’s important to be able to distinguish between fact and opinion—between what you or others believe and what you or others know to be true.

When you make decisions, assess others’ arguments, and support your own arguments, use facts, as they generally carry more weight than opinions.


For example, if I try to convince my boss that I deserve a raise and I use facts to support my argument, I’m much more likely to get that raise than if I simply use the opinion, “I think I deserve one.

Notice the difference between the following two examples:
■ “I really think I should get a raise. It’s about time, and I deserve it. I’ve earned it.”

■ “I really think I deserve a raise. I’ve met all of my production goals since I’ve been here, my evaluations have been excellent, and I was employee of the month.” Notice in the second example, facts support the opinion that “I deserve a raise.”

Notice in the second example, facts support the opinion that “I deserve a raise.” Furthermore, distinguishing between fact and opinion is important because people will often present their opinions as fact.

When you’re trying to make big decisions or solve complex problems, you need to know that you’re working with evidence rather than emotions.




No comments:

Post a Comment